Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pole Diameters - comparison

When purchasing a pole, choosing a diameter is a big decision (poles are expensive!) Everyone goes back and forth on what they want. When pole first started in the U.S., the only diameter available was the 50mm (2".) Companies eventually realized that the smaller-handed population needed a different sized pole, so the 45mm (1.75") came out. When I bought my first pole, the only options were 50mm and 45mm. Now, several years later, the 40mm and 38mm (1.5") have come out, making the decision on diameters that much harder! What diameter is for you? Well, that depends on the individual and several factors, which I will discuss.

The 50mm, which I believe is actually 50.8mm OD, is the largest of the diameters. It used to be the standard pole size in the U.S., until recently. A lot of studios have them because they are the strongest of the diameters, therefore they are safer for taller ceilings. They do not have as much flex as the other diameters. This diameter is really good for thigh holds and large hands. Knee holds can be a little harder on this diameter as are tricks in which you wrap your body. I find the inside and outside leg hangs awkward on this diameter since I have a short torso, so wrapping my leg around this pole while avoiding my lowest rib is awkward. I know that girls with very thin legs like 50mm poles for thigh holds. I am short and have meaty thighs. I find thigh holds to be fine, but any other movement to be awkward. Tall girls, with large hands, and males should do just fine on a 50mm.

50mm poles are sold by Platinum Stages, X Pole, Lil' Mynx, and Pole Danzer. They come in stainless steel, chrome, titanium gold, brass, and powder coated.


 
My hand fully wrapped on a 50mm                     Gun grip on a 50mm



The 45mm, which is actually 44.45mm OD, is the second largest of the diameters. Girls who learned on a 50mm might find that thigh holds on a 45mm are a bit tougher, but transitioning to a 45mm shouldn't be too difficult. The smaller diameter requires more squeezing in positions, but that can be a plus in that it can help you strengthen those muscles more! The 45mm may be a little difficult for those with thin legs, but it is usually workable. When I got my 45mm I loved it. 45mm seems to be a favorite for people with small and large hands alike. It is the happy medium between the large and small diameters. If you cannot decide on a pole diameter, a 45mm is a good default. 45mm is now becoming the standard pole size. 45mm cannot go as high as the 50mm due to the flex involved, unless the pole is reinforced. Even though the walls are usually thicker in the 45mm than in the 50mm, the pole can still have a lot of flex, especially if it is a softer metal. Talk to the pole company you plan on purchasing your 45mm from to see if your ceiling height is safe for this diameter.

45mm is sold by Platinum Stages, X Pole, Lil' Mynx, and Pole Danzer (but only in permanent stainless.) It comes in stainless steel, chrome, titanium gold, brass, and powder coated.



My hand fully wrapped hand on 45mm                 Gun grip on a 45mm    

                             
The 40mm was very recently released by X Pole in the U.S., even though it was available in AUS for a while before that. This diameter is good for girls with small/ extra small hands and/or a short stature. Larger handed girls may find this size awkward to grasp. This diameter is great for knee pit based moves and moves where you wrap around the pole. I honestly didn't have any problem adapting to this diameter in most of my moves. Thigh holds can be a bit difficult at first, but extra squeezing with the legs will help with that. Eventually, your muscles will adapt to the smaller size and working on it will become easier, possibly even easier than other diameters! This diameter may be very difficult with individuals with thin legs. The 40mm will have a bit of flex, so ceiling height may be restricted in this diameter. Talk to a representative about your ceiling height if you are considering a 40mm pole.

40mm is only sold by X Pole in chrome and brass.



My hand fully wrapped on 40mm              Gun grip on a 40mm




The 38mm, which is 38.1mm OD, is the smallest diameter available. It is very popular in AUS. There is only a 2mm difference between the 38mm and the 40mm, so visually they look the same next to each other, but the difference is noticeable when you are using it. Look at the photos of my hands fully wrapped on the 40mm and the 38mm. You can see the difference there. Like the 40mm, the 38mm is great for individuals with small/extra small hands. It is also like the 45mm and 40mm in that thigh holds take some adjusting to. Knee pit based moves are great on this diameter, like with the 40mm. Thinner legged individuals may find thigh holds difficult on this diameter. I can do all the moves on a 38mm that I can on a 40mm, although I feel less secure in an elbow grip aysha. That small difference in diameter makes my elbow grip feel a little less secure when inverted. This pole may have height restrictions due to the flex involved, so talk to a representative about your ceiling height, if you are thinking about a 38mm pole.

38mm is offered by Platinum Stages in stainless steel and brass, as a 1 piece pole. It does not come in a multi-piece pole.


My hand fully wrapped on a 38mm                                               
                                     Gun grip on a 38mm 

                          



Below are some photos of the different diameters side-by-side:



Left: 50mm                                                                             Left: 50mm       
Middle: 45mm                                                                        Middle: 38mm
Right: 40mm                                                                           Right: 40mm




Left: 40mm                                                                          Left: 45mm
Right: 50mm                                                                        Right: 50mm




Left:40mm                                                                       Left: 38mm
Right: 45mm                                                                    Right 40mm

Left: 50mm
Right: 38mm

Below are photos showing the difference if wall thickness of 3 of the poles. All of them are x poles.


Left: 50mm
Right: 45mm 


Left: 40mm
Right: 50mm


Below are some measurements of my hand, so you can compare the photos to your hands. You can also run over to your local hardware stores and touch their pipes (which I recommend doing.)





My personal suggestion, in purchasing a diameter, is that your thumb and middle finger should touch or slightly overlap on a pole. If a pole leaves a gap between your fingers, it might be too big for you. On the flip side, if your fingers cross excessively, it may be too small for your hands to really grasp the pole securely. Going with a pole that is too large for your hands, especially when you are a beginner, puts excess strain on the tendons in your hands, and wrists, in addition to the muscles in the forearms. It is MY personal opinion that it is better for the tendons and muscles to use a pole that you can adequately grasp. If the pole is too large, or even too small, you might over-grip the pole, and that can lead to injuries like tendinitis and forearm pain. I can say from personal experience that tendinitis and forearm pain are no fun. Too large or too small of a pole can also make you feel less secure in your grip on the pole, whether your hands are strong or not. This can make doing advanced tricks less safe due to the decreased stability of the hands on the pole. I know there are people out there who say that going with a large pole will help strengthen your hands. I disagree with this philosophy simply because of the risk of injury. You can strengthen your hands just as easily on a smaller pole that fits your hand size and using equipment such as a grip master, powerball, etc. 

Many individuals feel that the smaller diameters hurt more than the larger diameters. I personalty feel that the pain is just different, but that is just me. You may find they hurt more due to the pressure being put on a smaller surface area. Smaller poles will probably make you bruise initially in moves you stopped bruising on previously. This is simply because the same pressure is being placed on a smaller surface area than your skin is used to. It too will pass.

Girls with larger hands seem to prefer the 50mm and 45mm, while girls with smaller hands seem to prefer the 45mm, 40mm, and 38mm. It really is a matter of preference though. 

* In Australia there is a special edition 42mm, but due to it's limited supply and it's availability only in AUS, I am not going into it here.

18 comments:

  1. This is the absolute best analysis of pole size I have ever found (and I've been looking!). My hands seem to be about 1/3" longer than yours so it looks like a 45mm will work just fine. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 45 is always a good choice. Glad I could help you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am about 5'6 and 125 Lbs, I think my hands are average, and I am about a size 4/6 reg or S/M in most clothes. I really don't know which size pole to get for home, 45mm or 50mm. If I could get both sizes I would, but not enough room, or money. Please let me know which pole you think would fit me best. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unless you have very large hands, I say go with a 45mm. It's becoming the standard size in the U.S., and offers decent hand grip. I've seem a lot of slim girls who love 45s. I actually don't know many who hate 45s, but I know plenty who hate 50s once they try a 45.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! That helps out, I even tried out gripping PVC pipe, and still couldn't make a decision. Like Rachel said, this is the best advice page on pole size I have come across. Thanks again :)

      Delete
  5. so what size works best for you 40mm or 45mm couse we have exactly the same hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on what I'm doing, but I work well on both. I prefer the 40mm for hand passed tricks, but I can work on both easily enough. I like both for legs. Elbow grip aysha's feel scarier on smaller poles, but that's the only move I've run into that issue with.

      Delete
  6. Ok thank you very much you really helped me :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found a second hand 40mm x-pole here in Oz. I worked in the industry for years and was shocked when I first encountered the wider diameter poles. Hell, I didn't even use a spinning pole until the last few years working... I missed out on that :(
    But, I just saw a youtube video of a gal doing some mighty nice work on a 40mm x-pole but in the comments mentioned it bowed after a while, which i assume is due to diameter.
    I love the idea of a 40mm because my hands are really quite little (although they'll stretch to 7" from thumb to little finger like your pic) and I enjoy the more secure hand grip, but now I'm all unsure again.
    Thanks for the great side by side shots, they definitely help :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I think it is the nature of poles to eventually warp with time. We put a lot of strain on them with spins and big tricks. As with all equipment, maintenance and care is needed for poles. The good thing about x poles is that parts can be replaced. I have seen cases of brass poles bending from too wild of tricks, so brass needs extra caution with it being so soft. Smaller diameters have more flex, so yes, I can see them developing a wobble easier. They require more gentle usage.

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much on this thorough description -- pictures and all. Fantastic comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I'm considering getting a 40mm or a more standard size like 45mm brass X-pole. Do you know what is the circumference of the 40mm?
    I found these measurements here: http://aerialamy.com/blog/2011/12/09/buying-a-pole-thickness/
    A 45mm diameter pole is about 141mm or 5.55 inches in circumference.

    A 50mm diameter pole is about 157mm or 6.18 inches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The circumference of a 40mm pole would be approximately 125.6mm or 4.94 inches.

      Delete
    2. Hi thank you so much!! putting in my order now 40mm Brass X-pole. I'm sooo psyched!!

      Delete
  10. So helpful thank you so much!! I'm building my own pole and need to know the actual thickness of the steel, i have found one that's 1.5mm thick. That sounds very thin, do you think it will be strong enough and not bend? Thank you so much!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good day

      Did you build your pole? What thickness did you settle on? I need to build but they're making me so confused with all the options....

      Delete
  11. Thank you! This was the most helpful information I have received.

    ReplyDelete